HOLIDAY AND TRAVEL INSURANCE
The Following is taken from the UK Foreign and Commonweatlth Office website
Many people deeply regret not taking out travel insurance. They think their credit card accident cover, home insurance, or private health cover is sufficient.
The real cost when things go wrong
An emergency abroad can be extremely expensive. If you need to be returned to the UK it could cost you thousands of pounds, unless you are adequately insured:
Figures supplied by FirstAssist Services Ltd.
- £35-45,000 - air ambulance from USA’s East coast
- 12-16,000 - air ambulance from the Canary Islands
- £15-20,000 - scheduled flight, stretcher and Doctor escort from Australia
Remember: the British Embassy or High Commission will not pay for this.
What should my travel insurance policy cover
Many insurers will extend cover if you ask them. If not, shop around for a specialist policy.
Common travel insurance policy exclusions
Always check the conditions and exclusions of your policy:
- Medical and health cover for an injury or sudden illness abroad – more information on medical and health cover.
- 24 hour emergency service and assistance.
- Personal liability cover in case you’re sued for causing injury or damaging property.
- Lost and stolen possessions cover.
- Cancellation and curtailment (cutting short your trip) cover.
Extra cover for activities that are commonly excluded from standard policies, such as jet skiing.
The policy should cover the whole time that you’re away.
Your policy may also have:
- personal accident cover
- legal expenses cover
- financial protection if your airline goes bankrupt before or during your trip.
- Most policies will not cover drink or drug-related incidents.
- 60% of travel insurance policies now cover terrorism. Where possible, ensure that your policy does not exclude terrorism.
- You must take reasonable care of your possessions or your policy will not cover you.
Travel insurance buying tips
- Shop around to find a good price and the right product rather than opting to travel without cover.
- Cheaper policies will usually have less cover – for some the price seems most important, but is it worth the initial saving?
- Consider annual multi-trip insurance if you make several trips a year – you’ll save time and money.
Cancelling or cutting a trip short
A good insurance policy will cover you for cancelling or cutting a trip short. Check carefully to see exactly what you’re covered for:
- pregnancy (unknown when you buy the policy)
- jury service or witness summons
- home emergency: fire, storm or flood, burglary
- bad weather – affects the departure of flights and ships.
Ensure your policy:
- will refund the full cost of your holiday
- pays out if you need to cancel or cut short a trip because you fall ill for example
- covers pre-paid expenses such as excursions
- covers extra costs incurred to get home.
Try to book with a travel company that holds an ATOL (Air Travel Organiser’s Licence) or is a member of an association that can offer financial protection for your travel arrangements, e.g. ABTA or AITO. Always ask your travel company if protection applies to your travel arrangements. If it doesn’t, the company may be able to offer suitable insurance to cover you.
Personal liability insurance
If you accidentally cause an injury to someone or damage their property they may sue you. Good travel insurance will cover you for personal liability.
Personal accident cover – disability and death
Travel insurance can cover a personal accident payment made for permanent disability or death.
Cover for stolen, lost or damaged possessions
You can normally choose the limit in your policy. Limits for single items such as cameras and jewellery can vary from as little as £250 up to £1000 or more. Check these limits are adequate and realistic.
You should report a loss to the Police within 24 hours. Proof of notification will be required when you make your claim.
All insurance policies say that you must take care of your belongings at all times. If you don’t, the policy may not pay out.
Tip: take as much care of your property as if it were uninsured.
Lost baggage on flights
Do not rely on compensation from an airline if it loses your luggage.
By law, airlines only have to pay a specified minimum value per kilo of lost luggage. This is unlikely to cover the full value of your things.
Legal expenses cover
Taking out legal expenses cover will help you to pursue compensation or damages following personal injury while you're abroad – very important in countries without a legal aid system.
We have brought together a selection of travel insurance companies that offer everything you will need to secure your vacation or trip. Single trip and yearly policies are offered and whether you are taking a beach holiday or skiing, snowboarding or backpacking do it with the confidence that every eventuality is covered.
Travel insurance for the over 50's.
Wide Ranging Cover includes:
Our policies include up to:
- Cover for most pre-existing medical conditions
- Cover for any additional people including those that are under 50
- Enhanced Cancellation cover as standard – up to £5,000 cover for airspace, airport and port closure due to severe weather or strike in the UK or abroad
- Enforced stay cover as standard – offering up to £1,500 if you’re stranded abroad
- A choice of single trip or annual multi-trip policy
- Easy to use online medical screening process, which allows complete confidentiality if you have pre existing conditions
- 24 hour English-speaking travel assistance helpline included, for advice before and whilst you are away
- No need to book your holiday through Saga
- Optional cover for winter sports, scuba-diving or golf
– £10,000,000 for medical emergencies and repatriation
– £5,000 cancellation cover
– £2,500 baggage cover
Buy online today : receive instant emailed cover
Worldwide Travel Insurance offers you cheap insurance for european or world-wide holidays. Click the travel insurance of your choice for an instant quote today.
Annual Multi-trip Travel Insurance
Single Trip Travel Insurance
Travel Insurance for Cruises
Longstay Travel Insurance
Ski & Snowboard Travel Insurance
Skiing, snowboarding and many other sports and activities can be added when you buy online.
To buy online click the option that suits you best , or just call and tell us where you're travelling and we'll help you choose the best type of cover for your holiday !
JS Insurance is part of Jade Stanley Ltd. Jade Stanley Ltd was launched in September 1999. The whole concept was to provide customers with instant travel insurance by maximising the use of internet technology, but at the same time never losing the personal touch.
We offer the full range of products from single trip travel insurance, annual multi trip travel insurance, ski and snowboard travel insurance, we also work with other travel insurance partners that offer travel insurance for European Residents, US Residents and other Worldwide Residents.
Annual travel insurance.
Besides our single trip travel insurance policies, we also offer customers annual travel insurance to provide protection for the trips you might take throughout the year. With our cheap annual travel insurance policy you will receive up to 42 days cover per trip as well as a 10% discount if you apply and buy your policy online. If you are a parent travelling with children up to 17 years old or full time students up to 23 you will also receive a special discount rate.
Single trip travel insurance.
If an annual travel insurance policy isn’t quite for you, we also offer single trip travel insurance policies. These policies will provide you with sufficient cover for winter holidays, golf trips, cruises, adventure and/or sports holidays. You will also receive a 10% discount for applying and purchasing a single trip travel insurance policy online, as well as an additional 15% discount if you choose to not insure your baggage.
In 1988 Columbus Direct became the first UK travel insurance provider to sell directly to consumers.
We've sold millions of policies, providing quality cover at low prices to customers all around the world. With no shareholders we have a reputation for putting customers first!
American Express Travel Insurance
Leave your worries behind - you're well protected with American Express Travel Insurance.
Choosing the right travel insurance is just as important as choosing the right airline or holiday destination, so why compromise? Having been awarded a 5 Star Rating by Defaqto, you can be sure that our cover won’t let you down when you need it most.
With a low excess and access to the very best in worldwide expert assistance, you can relax in the knowledge that American Express Travel Insurance has you covered.
Some of our most popular travel insurance policies include:
24 hours a day, 365 days a year, wherever you are in the world, you're in safe hands with American Express Travel Insurance. Whether it's lost luggage at the airport or a skiing accident in a remote village, we'll help you get things back on track.
- Annual Multi-tripfrom £26.58*
- Single Tripfrom £10.90*
- Winter Sports coverfrom £33.88*
- Gap Coverfrom £67.61*
AMERICAN EXPRESS TRAVEL INSURANCE, DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT
UK travel insurance provider Flexicover Direct offers Travel Insurance and Holiday Insurance at affordable prices. We provide a comprehensive range of cheap travel insurance policies including Single Trip, Annual-Multi Trip, Gap Year, Long Stay and Winter Sports cover. Do you have a pre-existing medical condition or are you aged over 65? We can offer travel Insurance and holiday Insurance at affordable prices for both pre-existing medical conditions and over 65 insurance cover, when you purchase a Single Trip, Annual-Multi Trip, Gap Year (to age 45 only) or Long Stay Travel Insurance. Cover includes emergency medical expenses and dental treatment, cancellation, baggage, personal liability, personal accident, and 24/7 access to medical assistance.
|We use only first class companies and high street names that stand by their product. Follow our links to cheap holidays and cheap offers on flights, hotels, villas, package deals, car hire and cruise holidays. We can guide you to deals on travel insurance, train tickets, short breaks, summer holidays, city breaks and last minute holidays. Enjoy your holiday in the sun!